Your neighbor plays in a local band, and they’ve just released an indie produced CD. You know about it, but never heard him play. But you do see him lugging his gear in and out to gigs from his house. You also see him in the mornings, dressed for business, driving off with a friendly wave as you take out the trash. You’ve never thought much about it, but chances are, your neighbor is a passionate musician, with a fair amount of talent, who is trying hard to keep bread on the table for his family while pursuing his artistic side. The world is full of stories such as this, and most of us have friend like this neighbor, or a family member who is an artist, musician, filmmaker or has related creative pursuits.
Its tough for indie artists of any variety to make an impact and pay the bills, while pursuing their craft. Social Media for artists and entrepreneurs is a two edged sword.
On one hand, there are more free or low cost ways than ever before to attract new fans, or attention for a project (Facebook, Twitter, Indiegogo, Kickstarter, etc.) The flip side to that is that millions of others have the same opportunities. We are ALL experiencing “information overload”.
What can one person with limited finances do to help his or her indie artist friends? A Lot. Read ON>>>
5 Low Cost Ways to Help Your Indie Friends
1. Go to a live event, concert, art exhibit, film screening – just your attendance at an event means a lot! Stay for at least a few songs, buy a beer, and try to bring someone along once in a while. Ask your friend where they are playing, or showing their work. Show up! Nobody can go out every week, don’t worry about that. Your friend will appreciate you if you attend an event even once.
2. Buy the CD! If your friend has produced a CD, most sell for $15 or less, a small price to pay that lets your artist friend know you are listening. So what if you have heard the songs a million times before? The artist worked hard to get it recorded and be able to present it to the world. Show them you care.
Example: Get new release from Trace Relations HERE: “Prosperity Street” Indie Texas Rock, Blues and Groove
3. SHARE and comment on the music via Social Media! It costs you nothing but a few mouse clicks, but every time you share someone’s youtube video, blog post, photography or any content it MATTERS. More people see it, and it helps spread the word for your friend.
Example: Trace Relations – Texas Groove Music on Facebook
4. Make a donation. A lot of indie artists have arrangements with a non profit foundation, or a crowd funding project (like KickStarter or IndieGoGo). Donating even $5.00 will show your friend that you care about what they are up to. Every little bit helps.
Example: Support indie documentary film at StillKickin.org
5. Host a house concert, film screening or art exhibition in your home. These are fun events, and really help to spread the word about indie projects. You have a party in your house, invite your friends and let the artist invite theirs. The guests get an intimate performance and a nice evening out, and the artist gets exposure for their hard work.
So, what matters?
The same thing that has always mattered, getting people interested enough to devote a few moments or a few dollars to support art, of any kind. A little bit of attention from a lot of people is the only thing that makes a real difference for an indie artist (or musician, filmmaker, entrepreneur, etc…)
About the Documentary: South Texas Soul Documentary Features Legendary Texas Musician Augie Meyers
CD Available Now HERE: Trace Relations “Prosperity Street” CD Online
About the Trace Relations CD: Indie Music, Texas Groove: Trace Relations Release “Prosperity Street”
Want to support indie music and documentary production in Texas? YES, you can.
Make a tax-deductible donation to Still Kickin’ Foundation (501c-3 non-profit) in support of the completion of “South Texas Soul: The San Antonio Sound”. Every bit helps – a portion of the proceeds go to support the foundation, the majority percentage directly supports this film. Please make a donation to support this project HERE > Still Kickin’ Foundation ™ Donations BONUS: As a thank you, you will receive a free copy of Trace Relations debut CD as a gift for every $15.00 donated
Trace Relations – Prosperity Street: This CD debut from the band Trace Relations is a unique listening experience encompassing Rock, Blues, Jazz and Americana styles.It’s twelve tracks of Texas groove guaranteed to improve your mood. Twelve years in the making, ‘PROSPERITY STREET’ is the culmination of two divergent lifestyles where songwriter meets filmmaker, merging on the highway between Dallas and San Antonio, Texas. It features a dynamic Dallas based rhythm section and guitar prowess from San Antonio’s Kevin Lewis, plus guest appearances from Augie Meyers and Shawn Sahm of Texas Tornados, Katherine Dawn, The West Side Horns and more. Visit Trace Relations ™ official site for more information.
If you do, would you please do one or more small favors for me? I’ll be your biggest fan…
1. Sign up for newsletter HERE > The Social Freelancer ™ News publishes one email a week on Thursdays, 9 AM central standard time, no spam anytime.
2. Join us on Facebook HERE > The Social Freelancer ™ Facebook Page
3. Please post a comment below. Your comments here help to raise our site ranking in the search engines. You might also post a link to this page to your Facebook, Twitter or Linkedin profiles by using the buttons at the bottom of this page.
Need help with media training for upcoming TV appearances? Need video produced for corporate audience or broadcast television? What about Social Media? Facebook, Twitter, Youtube and Linkedin are business drivers in the new economy. Let Tracy help – Call Trace Productions (972-437-4433) or email email@example.com to schedule a phone consultation. We tailor our services to fit your needs. Thanks for visiting The Social Freelancer ™ blog.
Related Posts: RT Please?
(click on titles to read the articles, thank you.)
Stories Behind the Songs: I Live the Life I Love by Trace Relations, Willie Dixon Blues Classic
Vocalist with: Trace Relations – the Band
tracetvfilm on Youtube
@TraceTV – primary account for Tracy Ready: Media, Music, TV, Film, Travel, Humor
@FreelanceSocial – The Social Freelancer (TM): Social Media News, information and insight
@TraceRelations – the Band on Twitter