The Social Freelancer: Media + Music

The Social Freelancer and Trace Relations Music

Remember Moments that Matter

Will Rogers, the American humorist once said:

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”

True, but I have found that sometimes the temptation to just lay down on the tracks is great. I get weary of the turmoil and confusing nature of life.
Maybe you can relate to this scenario of mine:

I’ve had some “good fortune” and a bunch of bad too.
I have been blogging for more than 3 years now, and have seen modest gains of subscribers and frequent visitors to this site.
I have been in the television production business for more than 20 years and have had many amazing experiences while on location for my clients. I have been witness to history, met incredibly inspiring people and seen immense tragedy in the first person.

Vocalist / Director Tracy Ready, Photo by Stephan R. Lewis, all rights reserved

I have been a singer and lyricist for 35 years and have a debut CD on the market. I have been blessed to perform with some amazing musicians and done some memorable gigs.

All of these things bring me pleasure, and to some degree keep the bills paid, but its a struggle. No doubt, keeping up with a schedule on this blog, keeping current with technology and trends in our industry, and marketing the CD are all challenging tasks. While I do enjoy them all, its not always FUN.

The Struggle
I’ve had my share of personal tragedy, loss of family members, business failures, disjointed relationships, accidents, all manner of obstacles in my path.

I get an overwhelming feeling, like I am running in quicksand and will never reach solid ground. You?

READ ON> Why Moments Matter>

Honestly, there are some days I just want to toss it all out the window, get some menial job, and just sit back when my shift is up, have a beer and forget goals, dreams or visions. That’s not who I am, but it is TEMPTING.

I take a break, find inspiration in reading, listening to great artists I admire, and then get back on the horse. I write another post, shoot some more footage, write a new song. I feel better, but then the cycle of worry tries to raise its ugly head in my life.

I try to remember something Einstein said:
“It’s not that I am so smart, it’s that I stay with problems longer.”

That makes sense to me and brings some comfort. It means that although Einstein is revered as a genius, he didn’t see himself that way. He struggled. He achieved great things because he didn’t give up easily. He failed a lot, but then kept going until he succeeded.

My love, Lauren Ready

I also treasure the love of my life, my wife Lauren. She makes me smile, and fills my world with a warmth unlike any I have ever known.

Why am I telling you this?
It helps me to know that others (no matter how “successful”) have troubles too. I laugh when I see these “motivational speakers” who seem unwilling to admit that THEY’RE AFRAID.

We’re all afraid. Life is scary. It’s the MOMENTS that matter.
It’s the moment when something funny happens in your life, or you see a sunset with a loved one that is not like any you’ve seen before. The moment an idea you developed becomes a reality and gives someone else encouragement or makes them tap a foot and smile. The moment you took to find out what was happening right around you and seize it.

Jr. Brown layin’ it down in Austin

Recently I was in Austin on a production for the Australian Broadcasting show 4 Corners. It was a horrible weather day, we had heavy rain on the entire trip down from Dallas. It kept raining and ruined chances of getting much of the footage our clients needed for the story. We had completed everything we could possibly achieve for the shoot that day by 4 pm.

Look Around for “the Moment”
Whenever I am in Austin I like to check out what’s happening at the Continental Club, a spot with a great history of booking incredible Austin acts. As it happened, the great Junior Brown was scheduled to do a show there at 7pm on a Sunday night! Great happenstance, and an incredible show where we got to see his guitar wizardly and laugh at his goofy tunes, up close and personal.

That was a Moment.
Obviously, we stayed and had a great time. It never would have occurred for me had I not stopped to check the calendar there, and been willing to alter any plans I had for the evening on a moments notice. It was totally unexpected, and a moment I will never forget.

Those things MATTER. But the only way they happen is to keep putting one foot in front of the other.

My folks! John and June Ready

I try to do as my father, the late John Ready suggested:
“You wake up in the morning and see what’s in front of you THAT DAY, take care of that and move on. Quit worrying about tomorrow.”

I loved him and I miss him, he was a wise man.

I hope that my admission of fear about the road ahead lets you know, you are not alone. Take heart and take care, thanks for tuning in.

Trace

Trace Ready "The Social Freelancer"

Trace Ready “The Social Freelancer”

Trace Ready is a Director of Photography, Writer, Producer and Vocalist based in Dallas, Texas. His band Trace Relations has released their debut studio CD “Prosperity Street”
Connect with Trace: TraceProductions.com

Like this? Help Trace keep his wheels on the road for the photo series “Vanishing Texas” and continue posting to this blog while juggling in “the freelance life.” – HERE:

Vanishing Texas Photography by Trace
Supporters receive my undying gratitude and a free copy of my music CD, “Prosperity Street” by Trace Relations Band

Share with your friends:
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • StumbleUpon
  • Technorati
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
posted by Tracy Ready in Psychology,social media,social networking,The Social Freelancer,Travel,TV – FILM – VIDEO – PHOTO,Video Production,Who?,Writing and have Comments (19)

19 Responses to “Remember Moments that Matter”

1. ron young says:

Really enjoyed your blog today, chief. Picked me up because I’ve been down lately myself, what with health issues, the state of the local music scene in S.A., etc. Thanks, I needed a boost. Am rehearsing with Kevin Lewis today. Yay! Playing Sunday with him and C.J. Troilo at Tycoon Flats for the TMC meet-n-greet.

2. Hi Tracy,

What a beautiful, sincere, emotional post you’ve put together. Thanks for sharing it.
    You’ve really touched me with this one. I agree with you that life
    IS in the moment. Everyone tells you to set goals and all that jazz.
    But first of all there are different approaches to setting goals and
    if you asked Leo Babauta he’ll tell you that you don’t need to set any goals: http://zenhabits.net/no-goal/

That’s how he’s living his life and he’s happy and doing really well with his blog as well, by following his passion. I’m actually trying to do the same because goals don’t work really well for me, only very general ones. What excites me is to do what I’m passionate about which is to write and blog and love and help others. What I’m striving to do and I know I’ll get there is to be almost in a constant state of creativity, to be in the flow. I know this is when I’m the happiest.

As you’ve said we all have fears. Of course. That’s part of being human. What shapes you as a person is when you face these fears head-on and not give in to fear. That’s when you grow.
    I think it’s really important to be present because the moment is everything there is. If you haven’t read The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle then I highly recommend it. In a nutshell he tries to prove why the present is the only time we actually have, as the past is in our mind and the future hasn’t happened yet so you can never be there. Worries happen when you give in to time because you’re either in the past or in the future, you’re not present.

I also think it’s important not to give in to others who try to sway you away from being present and try to inject their own worries and fear onto you. I’ve given in too many time and now it’s game over. I’m following my passion, whatever the cost may be. I don’t give a rat’s a** about what anyone else thinks or says.

I highly recommend you read Steve Pavlina’s article on achieving goals:
    His approach to goals is much more lax and, to my mind, healthier and more effective than most of the common goal setting tips you hear. He’s a living proof.

I loved how you described Junior Brown’s concert. I know exactly what you mean. This is how I feel when I get into a flow of creativity. You’re a musician and that’s a wonderful thing and I’m sure you’ve experienced many of those moments. Imagine if almost all your life were like this moment. Wouldn’t that be great?

Tracy, please tell me if there’s anyway I can help you with your blog, marketing etc. so you can do even better. If there’s any particular topic you’d like me to write about I’ll gladly do it.

Take care,
    Adam

3. Tracy Ready says:

Thank you Adam, I really appreciate your kind feedback… we’re all just trying to make our way in this world, feels good to know when someone is listening… all the best, Trace

4. Tracy Ready says:

Many thanks Ron… I really appreciate the kind feedback. Trace

5. Linda says:

Like a hot totti on a cold winter’s night – Tracy, you hit the spot! Thanks for sharing – I try to follow “Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.” -John Wayne – and believe me I’ve been scared to death many times!

6. Wade Jacoby says:

I guess we’re lucky that for most of us, life is a bit of a struggle. If it were not, how could we ever appreciate it? I’ve thought about this at different times. I tried to imagine what it would be like if everyday whatever you did was a huge success. You had zero problems, zero issues to deal with. Everyday, a million dollars flows into you bank account.

The most successful people lose all privacy in their lives. Someone is always there snapping away with a camera equiped with a huge telephoto lense.

You can’t go to the grocery store, but if you did, you’d see yourself on the front of the tabloids.

You know that old saying, how most things are good in moderation. Is success any different? Think about Elvis and Michael Jackson. Or how about John Lennon and how sad it was that that nutsack killed him. Would that have happened if John were not a Beatle?

I mean it’s great to strive for things, and to accomplish them. It gives purpose and meaning to our lives. But a certain amount of failure is not such a bad thing either. It keeps us grounded, humble, and there’s never a shortage of things that you can try to accomplish.

Yea, I guess I believe that if things went too smoothly all the time, you might get to a point to where it didn’t matter anymore.

Good luck in all you strive for Tracy. Thanks for sharing with us.

7. Thanks for sharing at such a deep heartfelt level. Your post is inspiring! You and your blog are a bright spots along my own journey. I too have moments when I entertain the thought of a day job but I pick myself up, dust myself off and give it another shot. This post is well timed. Feels like you are extending your hand and helping us all back up. Bless you Trace!

Place your comment

Please fill your data and comment below.
Name